Saturday, January 19, 2013
St Marnock's Parish Church
A large pink sandstone church with a four-stage tower constructed in 1836 and designed by the architect, James Ingram - it was actually his first major work. It stands on St. Marnock Street between the Police Station on the left and the Sheriff Court on the right.
There is also a famous Carillon of 30 bells which was installed in the tower in memory of Peter Wills and his daughters, Maggie and Mary. It is one of only a few carillons in Scotland and is ranked 12th in the United Kingdom. The bells are found just under the roof and played on a keyboard on a lower floor.